You may be thinking about hiring a branding photographer to photograph you and your business because:
Whatever your reasons are to hire a branding photographer, I highly recommend you schedule a consultation or discovery call with them.
Hiring a branding photographer is like hiring a coach. It is an investment. You want to interview a few photographers to see if they fit your budget and if they are the right photographer for you.
You should feel comfortable and trust your photographer because if you don’t, your photos will reflect that you are uncomfortable, self-conscious, and sometimes awkward.
Here are a few questions to help you get started:
1. Have you worked with entrepreneurs and business owners?👉 If they say yes, ask to see their portfolios, so you can decide if their style matches your personality and branding. You should also ask if they specialize in a niche, such as they only do product photography, they only work with coaches, or they do branding photos for all types of businesses. This will help you decide if they are the right photographer for you.
2. What is your process?👉 You want to get as many details as possible, so you know what to expect at each stage – booking, planning, photoshoot, and delivery. Most branding photography sessions require you to fill out a questionnaire and jump on a phone/video call to plan your photoshoot. There is a little homework and time investment needed before your photoshoot.
3. What is included in your branding photo package? 👉 You want to get all the details from the branding photographer on what is included in your branding photo session packages. Some photographers include hair and makeup, some photographers include personal styling, and some photographers have different pricing for an in-studio photoshoot vs. an on-location photoshoot.
4. What is your reschedule or cancellation policy? 👉 We get it, life happens. You may get sick the morning of your photoshoot or have car trouble and need to reschedule or cancel your photoshoot. Find out if there’s a fee for rescheduling or how much of a refund you can get if you decide to cancel your photoshoot.
5. What is your fee and the payment timeline?👉 Typically there’s a deposit required to finalize your photoshoot booking. Then the remaining balance is due either a few days or the day of your session. Every photographer’s payment timeline and form of payments are different so it’s good to ask.
6. Do you offer hair, makeup, and styling guidance? 👉 Some branding photographers have these extra services as part of their packages and some have them as an add-on. If you want to look your best, I recommend using the photographer’s vetted vendors as they have worked well together in the past.
7. Will you help me find a location for my branding photoshoot? 👉 This is an important question when deciding where to do your branding photoshoot, whether at the photographer’s studio, at your home, or outdoors. The options are endless. This is why it’s important to attend the planning session, so your photographer will know the type of photographs you need for your brand. For example, if you are a yoga instructor, doing your branding photoshoot outdoors would be a great option. If you are a coach, it would make sense to do your branding shoot in your home or your office space.
8. Can I choose my branding photos?👉 Depending on the branding photographer, they may either choose the final images or allow you to choose your favorites before editing and delivering them to you. It’s always good to ask.
9. Can I edit my branding photos?👉 Some photographers do not allow you to edit your photos because the edited photos will no longer reflect the photographers’ style. This should be listed in the contract. I allow my clients to edit their branding photos and use them in a way that will help grow their business, such as editing in a tool like Canva or adding filters.
I hope you find these questions helpful in your search for a branding photographer.
Are you interested in a branding photoshoot in the Northern or Central New Jersey area? Contact me and schedule your complimentary consultation.
Photography by: Charissa H. Yong Photography, LLC.